Rocks-Macqueen emphasizes the considerable investment involved in online engagement, primarily through time commitments. He recommends considering the following when deciding which platforms to invest in:
- are online platforms appropriate?
- longevity/sustainability of the platform
- Data/content potability
- What are the (potential) conflicts between your needs and the platform’s needs?
- Who is your audience?
- What formats do you want to engage in (long-form writing, short bursts, multimedia, etc.)?
- how open or closed is your platform?
Lauracuente outlines the potential of Twitter, as a micro-blogging platform, for engaging with people beyond public events. In particular, he highlights its utility for reaching free-choice learners.
Based on your experience blogging this semester, what Lauracuente writes about Twitter, and the considerations presented by Rocks-Macqueen, what type of social media outreach would be most effective for our project?